Thursday, December 9, 2010

Reverb 10 - Day 9: Party

December 9 – Party. What social gathering rocked your socks off in 2010? Describe the people, music, food, drink, clothes, shenanigans. (Author: Shauna Reid)

(That's Shelly, front right. July 7, 2006. I know we look a little rough but its the only photo I have on my work computer of us. Thanks for understanding.)
For some people in my life, 2010 was a stellar year. One friend that comes immediately to mind is Shelly. Back when this photo was taken, we were party girls who always messed with the wrong guys and wondered why they wouldn't go straight for us. We spent every Friday trolling the hottest spots downtown to find the best and brightest up-and-comers in the business sector. (It helps to live right by the HQs for Nationwide, The Limited, Abercrombie, and more). Every Saturday we'd swear some new loser was going to change our lives. Every Sunday, we'd be making plans to start again on Friday.

But in 2009 something changed for Shelly. She was out at a new haunt with some mutual friends that we didn't know we shared and a very sexy Venezuelan man came walking down the street. He asked if he could borrow a light (she still smokes; I very much quit) and they started talking. Fourteen months later, he asked her to be his wife.

Adam is nothing if not romantic so this wasn't your everyday proposal. First, he reserved our area's newest and most EXCLUSIVE members only club and invited all of her friends. He told her that it was just a birthday party. She honestly expected him to go all out; she was turning thirty. And as anyone who's crossed that threshold knows, thirty is a big deal.

Everyone she loves is there; all of their family and friends. The rooms are dimly lit to make it seem more personal and there's loud music playing all around. People are dressed to the tens, forget about the nines! Then suddenly, the music stops, a spotlight comes up, and Adam's there with a microphone.

He pours his heart out in words telling her how every part of him sings when she enters a room. He commits his soul to her and asks if she'll be his forever. Through tears she accepts. There is clapping and cheering all around. And some of us (this girl) believe in love again.

Things gets fuzzy after that because the champagne was free-flowing. But I do remember this. I remember Shelly coming up to me and telling me that it wasn't over for me. She told me that she could see that I had given up and I shouldn't. She told me that she often wondered where she'd be if she had actually quit smoking. Would she have met Adam at all?

I remember hugging Adam and thanking him for being the answer to all of her prayers. I remember thinking that I could have this too. And I'm pretty sure it occurred to me that it wouldn't happen with the boy.

2 comments: