Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Everything Tastes Like Fish

Irrrggghhghhiiiiicccckkk!! *whole body shudders*

I've been on prenatals for two weeks. I didn't whine to you about how much I hated hearing the word "prenatal" thrown around like it was water in the desert. And I might have left off the part about being on a Health Savings Account and hating the idea of filling prescriptions because they are so frickkin' pricey.

At least, in my mind they are pricey. I was sick a lot as a child. And not in the they-don't-clean-their-house-so-she-has-another-ear-infection kind of way. But I had to have my tonsils and adnoids removed, there was a 2-inch ball of wax in my right ear that had to be hooked out and damaged my hearing on that side, I had asthma and was allergic to everything outside. I have more memories of being laid up on a doctor's table then I do birthday parties.

As far as I'm concerned, doctors and medicine are here solely to bankrupt me because they never did find a cure for my snoring. Even after my mom submitted me to research studies and medications and CPAP machines. It's scarred me for life, I swear.

But when nothing else will help, I do take the advice of my doctor seriously. When she said to take prenatals and offered to write a script, I rejected it and told her that I'd just buy some OTC meds. One-A-Day seemed as good a brand as any. Although I'd never seen a two part prenatal before, I figured that they would have to know what they were doing. I didn't bother running the selection by my Dr. because getting a call back requires you to be dying or past due on your account (apparently, because I have never received a call back when requested).

The point is: I've been burping fish for two solid days. And not delicious yellowfin sashimi or grilled teriyaki Mahi-Mahi over island rice. No, it's more like nasty who-put-an-open-tuna-can-in-the-fridge? burping and I want to cry. I don't want to stop taking them because I obviously have low iron. I'm not in a position to eat more red meat because it's something that I currently loathe. And like I said, my Dr. is not returning my calls (yes, I'm on the war path and desperately seeking a new GP). So, what do I do? I can stop taking the fish oil ones, right?

I sure hope so because I'm going to. For a few days at least. I can't burp fish and keep my sanity.

4 comments:

  1. Have you tried taking them before bed instead of in the morning? I found it helped me when the prenatals upset my stomach. Also if you are looking for iron... Try something called Floradix Iron + Herbs. My acupunturist recommended it. It is liquid so easier to take and no fish flavor... I found it in the health food stores here in NYC.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The One-A-Day's tore up my stomach. I've been taking a very expensive OTC I get from a health food store (New Chapter Organics) that works well. And I've been taking them since April... I still take my Calcium, Fish Oil, etc. in addition to the prenatals. I keep my receipts and will be using all of my vitamins on my itemized medical tax deduction for 2010. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I laughed a little when I read your blog---only because I'm all to familiar with the burping fish syndrome...though mine was accompanied by nausea. I tried waiting until breakfast to take my vitamins, but it only helped a little as I eat small breakfasts.

    Instead, I take a double dose of the adult gummies (please don't laugh!) and take folic acid on the side to make sure I reach the 800mg recommended amount. The gummies work wonders...I have to stop myself from wanting the scarf down the entire bottle at times! I got the idea from reading in some forum about a pregnant woman who had the same issues with prenatal vitamins so her OB told her that she could take the children't chewable vitamins instead.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ladies, thank you all so much! Its good to know that you can throw a question out there and get reasonable and comprehensive responses.

    I didn't take the oil capsule today and went fish free! I will definitely look to change.

    @Jendo - I would never laugh at gummies. I actually gasped in delight. Gummi bears are a favorite food so I know that gummy vitamins will be an amazing alternative

    @obernon - Thank you for your suggestion about the liquid. I'll have to check it out. If I can mix it in my coffee it might be the way to go. I'm not good at eating regularly scheduled meals; I'm sure that could've been a factor also.

    @BB - I never ever think to claim these things. *forehead.desk.*

    ReplyDelete